Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Special section finished

Our special section previewing the Biscuits' season is finished. Make sure to take a look at it Thursday, just in time for the season opener. Now that all the work -- much of it done by Sports Editor Ben Thomas and graphics guru Kevin VanHyning -- is done, the fun can start. Of course, I'm sitting here now getting paranoid that I've messed something up.

***
Earlier this week, I promised I was going to look back and see who was on the spring minor-league roster (the list I used was dated March 24) but wasn't listed on the travel lists. I don't know if all of these guys were released or something else. Some of the late additions to the minor-league camp (Jason Pridie, etc.) never made it to the spring roster.

Pitchers
Calvin Carpenter
Austin Coose -- former Biscuit who had arm problems last year
Jack Cressend
Richard De los Santos
Travis Driskill
Jarrad Lavergne
Joe Little
Josh Parker -- nice guy who was in Montgomery the last two years
Matt White -- 1996 loophole free agent who had a $10 million signing bonus

Position players
Ryder Mathias
Graig Merritt -- fun spirit enlivened the Biscuits last year
Carlos Ramos
Jermy Acey

***
If you look back earlier in the blog, you can see I guessed on who would come to Montgomery. Is 9-for-11 an OK performance?

I was 4-for-4 on pitchers, though two other guesses (Jeff Niemann and Jarod Matthews) are still rehabbing injuries. I was a bit worse on position players (5-for-7) with misses on Shawn Riggans and Francisco Leandro. Riggans deserved the promotion to Durham, but I thought he might get caught in a numbers crunch. I was pretty surprised the Rays sent Leandro back to Visalia.

No comments: