Monday, March 28, 2011

Kline still hopeful to have impactful career

Rays minor league pitcher Will Kline remains optimistic that he can still have a successful career, though he's missed the last three seasons with injuries.

"Baseball is still a game to me and I want to play again. I want to compete," Kline said. "I'm still battling issues, but I'm still putting the glove on every day. I love this organization and I've made a lot of good friends here. As long as they keep me around, I'll keep plugging along."

After reporting to camp feeling "great," Kline is again trying to work his way into game shape. He suffered a "minor setback" in his third throwing session this spring and felt something in his shoulder.

"Here we go again as far as slowing down," Kline said.

He's scheduled to throw a 25-pitch, fastball-only session this week. Kline was a second-round draft pick in 2007 out of Ole Miss and made nine starts that summer at low-Class A. He's yet to pitch again.

"I've been so hit or miss," Kline said. "When I'm hitting, it's like, 'OK, let's go.' When I'm missing, it seems like I miss three weeks here and there. I look up in late July and Kline is still in extended spring or the rehab program."

No comments: