Friday, November 21, 2008

DeMent returning to Rays as coach

Dan DeMent, who played in Tampa Bay's minor-league system for five years, is returning to the organization as a minor-league coach.

"I already know everybody in the organization pretty much and I think it will be great," DeMent said. "I'm looking forward to it."

DeMent, who lives near Birmingham, played in the Washington Nationals' system after leaving the Rays. The 30-year-old was out of the game this year -- and spent his time coaching. He was a junior varsity coach at Clay-Chalkville High, where his wife Krista teaches, and helped with a travel team this summer.

McNally Ann, Dan and Krista's first child, was the first Baby Biscuit in 2004. The couple has a second daughter, Fallon, who turned 1 in August.

"Krista is real supportive and that's the only way I could take a job like this," DeMent said. "It's going to be tough because of these girls. They're attached to me and I'm more attached to them."

Dan hit 33 home runs in five years with the Rays -- including eight with Montgomery in 2004 -- before finding some power with Washington. He had 14 homers in 2005, a hefty 20 in '06 and 10 in '07.

"I found a power surge late, some old man strength," DeMent cracked.

DeMent said he will be assigned to one of Tampa Bay's short-season affiliates, but he said he doesn't yet know which one.

No comments: