Thursday, August 17, 2006

Longoria has "minor" injury, nothing more

With how quickly Evan Longoria has risen through Tampa Bay's system, I admit I thought something might be up when Longoria suddenly left Wednesday's late game.

Of course, it was nothing.

Longoria fouled a ball off his left leg in the opener, but stayed in the game. He hit a bloop single in the nightcap, went station-to-station and scored a run. An inning later, Gabriel Martinez suddenly was in the game at third and Longoria was nowhere to be found.

He's supposed to miss Thursday's game and could return just in time for a major test. Chattanooga's Homer Bailey pitches Friday and is supposed to be the real deal. Friends have asked me the last two weeks about which game of this series might be the best to see. I've told all of them: "The one Homer Bailey is pitching."

1 comment:

Bubba-36109 said...

An inning later? Gabriel Martinez came in the top of the 3rd. The guys in booth missed it also, they said the 4th. I 1st thought he was hot dogging it to 1st and then when he scored. He wasn't putting much effort into running, but I guess when you take one off the shin, hell I would have laid down and be carried off the field. Tough Guy! He'll be missed tonight.