Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Maddon on Longoria

The Rays included quotes in their daily camp release from manager Joe Maddon on Evan Longoria and Longoria's chances of making the majors out of spring training.

JOE MADDON
On Evan Longoria:
JM: He’s one of those guys that believes he belongs here, which is really important. That’s the one component that can accelerate his coming to the major leagues, because physically he is really talented but it’s just a matter of what you’re thinking and how you’re thinking. I know he has those components.
Why is it so important not to rush this guy?
JM: I think it is important never to rush anybody. I think when you get into a situation on a major-league level, whatever sport it is, when you start rushing people to that spot you have a chance of losing them for a long period of time. When you have somebody like him, who you pretty much know what he is going to look like in the future, it’s OK if he meets some adversity, we expect that. You really want to make sure all the bells and whistles are attached and in place and everything is lined up perfectly, because you want him to get off to a good start. He’s going to come here with a lot of pressure built into the situation, so sometimes it’s better just to wait a little bit. When you are going to make a mistake in this situation you’d rather it be more of a cautious mistake than an aggressive mistake, because you can really impact a young man’s future more than you would realize.
EVAN LONGORIA
Are you OK with the fast pace of going through minors?
EL: I think everyone would like it like that. The less time you spend in the minor leagues obviously it is more pleasant. There are still a lot of things that I need to experience and learn. I am just trying to take it one step at a time.
On decision to wait until later in the spring to make decision on where he will play (Tampa Bay or Durham):
EL: I am OK with what they decided to do. It gives me a chance to prove myself. I feel the pressure a little more and it is kind of what I like. I would rather be pushed and have people on me than just come in and have it (position) handed to me.

2 comments:

Bubba-36109 said...

My pick opening day third base is Evan Longoria...heard it first here!

Bubba-36109 said...

Prior Biscuits...
Minor League Transactions 9-15 Feb
Florida Marlins
Outrighted off 40-man roster: RHP Marcos Carvajal

Oakland Athletics
Outrighted off 40-man roster: 1B Wes Bankston

Seattle Mariners
Signed: 1B Greg Norton