Friday, April 20, 2007

More on Hebner

Assuming you've read the Biscuits notes in Friday's paper, I can easily say that I agree with Brooks Badeaux's opinion of Richie Hebner.

Badeaux played for Hebner during Hebner's five-year tenure as hitting coach with the Durham Bulls. The Devil Rays fired Hebner and the entire Durham staff last year, and Hebner is now the hitting coach for the Birmingham Barons.

Badeaux said that Hebner can make anybody laugh. I'll attest to that. Standing around the batting cage with him earlier this week, I had to seriously limit my laughter listening to his humorous stories because I didn't want to distract the hitters taking their swings.

He also hinted that he still had raw feelings at being fired, but said he was happy with the White Sox. "Good organization, good guys," he said.

Hebner said former Biscuits manager Charlie Montoyo deserved his promotion to Durham, "but I thought I'd be there with him."

Hebner also said Badeaux will be a good coach "if he wants to stay in this game," though Badeaux said he's still shooting for the major leagues. Hebner also complimented Biscuits pitcher Chris Seddon, who also played in Durham when Hebner was there.

And nobody with the Biscuits who knows Hebner would say a bad word about him. He's a casualty of the shenanigans that happened at Durham last year.

No comments: