Sunday, February 15, 2009

Rays open spring training

Selected quotes, sent out by the Rays, on today's first day of spring training ...

JOE MADDON
On the change of scenery helping:
“I love the changes here. I’m not denigrating any of the facilities up in St. Petersburg, it’s just that we’re here and once the games begin we’re still able to have extra room to do extra work with our major league guys. They are right here. We have the major and minor league groups together. I want us to be able to homogenize everything that we do between both groups.”

JAMES SHIELDS
On how it feels to get spring training started and Charlotte Sports Park:
“It feels great. First time out here in the new facility and it’s looking pretty good. This town is pretty excited to have us here and we’re excited to be here. You can never get too big (of a facility). I think we’ve got plenty of facility here and the way they designed it is amazing. Our clubhouse is top notch and I’ve never seen a better clubhouse at spring training. It’s a little bit different than Al Lang, but I think we’ll enjoy it. You’ve got a facility like this and what happened last year and being the American League champs we’re feeling pretty good about ourselves coming in here.”

On the rotation:
David Price is something special. I think he’s got a lot of learning to do and he’s still young and yet he pitches like he’s a veteran. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens this year. We’ve got a great staff; our staff is unbelievable. I’m the oldest guy on the staff, I’m 27 years old, and that’s always a good thing.”

DAVID PRICE
On the chance of not being in the rotation:
“I want to be out there the first day. That’s what you have spring training for I’m out here to prove myself again. That’s what it’s about; it’s going to be a competition.”

No comments: