Thursday, March 29, 2012

Recovering Bortnick says he'll be ready opening day

Second baseman Tyler Bortnick, expected to be an opening day starter for the Biscuits, is currently out with an injury, though he said he'll break camp on time.

"I'll be ready to go," Bortnick said. "Yes, sir."

Bortnick declined to give details of the injury. Otherwise, he said, it's been a good spring.

"I've been hitting the ball well and seeing it well," he said. "I'm ready to get the season underway."

The 24-year-old, a 16th-round draft pick in 2009 from Coastal Carolina, hit .306 and had a .428 on-base percentage last year at high-Class A Charlotte. Bortnick also swiped an organization-best 43 bases.

Bornick landed one of Tampa Bay's spots in the Arizona Fall League, where he was named one of the league's "rising stars."

"I was honored and blessed that the Rays picked me to go," Bortnick said. "Being able to compete further enhanced my thinking that I could play in the big leagues. I never doubted I could, but it was an extreme boost of confidence for me to go and play well."

No comments: