Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sandberg: Sosa doesn't deserve spot in Hall

Smokies manager Ryne Sandberg told a radio station in Chicago today that Sammy Sosa doesn't deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame after his positive steroid test.

Today is the 25th anniversary of Sandberg's seven-RBI game against the Cardinals that included two home runs off Bruce Sutter.

I just listened to the interview (forgive any typos).
I was around Sammy for about five years before I retired. There wasn't anything going on then. But I did admire the hard work that he put in. He was one of the first guys down at the batting cage, hitting extra. I figured that he was working out hard in the offseason to get bigger. It was just happening throughout the game. Even myself was blinded by what was really happening, maybe starting in the '98 season. I think it's very unfortunate. I think suspicions were there, as there are with some other players. Those players are now put in a category of being tainted players with tainted stats. It's obviously something that was going on in the game. Players participated in it and, as the names have come out, I think they're going to be punished for that.

Should Sosa go in the Hall?
I don't think so. Part of being in the Hall of Fame, they use the word integrity to describe a Hall of Famer in the logo of the Hall of Fame. I think there's going to be quite a few players not to get it. It's been evident with the sports writers who vot ethem in, with what they've done with Mark McGwire getting in the 20 percent range. We have some other players coming up. Palmeiro is coming up soon. It will be up to the sports writers to speak loud and clear about that. I don't see any of those guys getting in.

How about a separate wing in the Hall of Fame?
I don't even think I'd be in favor of that. I think it's sending the wrong message. It's something that's against the law, it's against society, it was cheating in the sport. I don't think the Hall will accept that or go that route. I think it has to be spoken very loud and clear on the stance. Baseball needs to stand, as they have. I'm very satisfied with the testing program they have in place now. If a guy tests positive today under what happens now, like Manny Ramirez, it almost takes an idiot to participate in that. For the society and the up-and-coming players and the youth out there, I don't think the guys should be recognized at all.

No comments: