Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Guerrieri wants 2012 momentum to continue, with more wins

Taylor Guerrieri established himself as a top-tier prospect for the Tampa Bay Rays last year with an impressive debut at short-season Hudson Valley. This year, he might win a few more games, too.

The right-handed pitcher had a tremendous season on a championship team. But because of severe pitch limits (5 innings, 75 pitches at best), he recorded just one win.

"I'm going to be on a pitch count again this year, just not as strict," Guerrieri said. "Maybe I'll get a few wins."

The 20-year-old, who is headed to low-Class A Bowling Green this year, had a 1.04 ERA in 52 innings. He gave up just 35 hits, walked four and struck out 45.

"It was a great year, not only individually but team-wise," Guerrieri said. "I've never played on a team that had so much fun."

Guerrieri is trying to prepare for the early-season Kentucky weather, too.

After going without long sleeves for a cold morning workout Tuesday, he donned them early Wednesday. Temperatures were in the 40s.

"I'm from South Carolina, so I'm not used to it, but I've got to get used to it," Guerrieri said. "I hear Bowling Green is pretty cold this time of year."

No comments: