Thursday, December 06, 2007

Wright stunned by Houston pick

Wesley Wright was watching a little TV, and not tracking the Rule 5 draft, when a Houston Astros scouting supervisor called.

Crosschecker Clarence Johns, who originally drafted Wright for the Dodgers in 2003, told Wright that the Astros had picked the left-handed pitcher today.

"I said, 'Are you for real?'" Wright said. "He said, 'Yeah, you can get out of bed now.'"

"It's a dream come true for all of us. ... It still really hasn't hit me yet. Maybe it will in the next day or two."

"You never know what an organization is looking for. All you can do is go out and do the best you can. I feel I've improved every year and I feel I have the ability, but I didn't know how things would work out."

"I knew I had a chance to get picked up, but I didn't know anything for sure. I was prepared for anything. I was ready to go to spring training with the Dodgers and do the best I could. Now, I'm looking forward to going to Kissimmee and doing good things for the Astros."

"It's exciting and it's a big thing, too. I know what I have to do and it's in front of me. I'm anxious to talk to them and see what they want out of me."

On his Arizona Fall League performance ... "People will see you enough on your good days that you hope it outweighs your bad days. With baseball, the biggest thing is being seen and I think the fall league was a good opportunity for me to be seen."

On his 2007 season, which lasted from the start of spring training until mid-November and left him mentally drained ... "Right now, it seems worth it. I don't look back with any regrets."

No comments: