Monday, August 22, 2011

Lobstein set for Double-A debut

Left-handed pitcher Kyle Lobstein has joined the Biscuits from high-Class A Charlotte and is scheduled to make his Double-A debut Friday.

Lobstein was 9-9 with a 3.77 ERA for the Stone Crabs after a one-run, six-inning no-decision start Sunday. The Biscuits will have to make another transaction before his start Friday.

Lobstein, who turned 22 this month, faced questions before the season over his lack of velocity, but he said he feels great and it's not something he's worried about "as long as I locate it."

"Location is a bigger factor than velocity," Lobstein said. "If you throw harder, you can get away with more, but I've been able to put it where I want it. Lately, I've been feeling strong and my arm is healthy. The ball has been coming out of my hand well, with late life, and I'm throwing a lot of strikes."

Lobstein missed the first three weeks of this year with shoulder inflammation suffered the day after his final spring training appearance, Lobstein said.

"They shut me down for a little bit to make sure I was healthy," Lobstein said. "I missed a few starts, got healthy and haven't had any problems since."

No comments: