Saturday, July 24, 2010

Golden, after Wrigley appearance, going to AZL

Wetumpka's Reggie Golden said he and the Cubs finalized their contract within the last hour and he'll make an appearance Wrigley Field on Sunday before flying to join Chicago's Rookie-level team in the Arizona League.

His Wrigley Field appearance includes batting practice with the Cubs.

"I think they're putting me in the group with all the home run hitters. I'll let you know how that goes," Golden said. "I'll be the one with the base hits. Everybody else will be dropping bombs."

Golden, who went in the second round with the 65th overall pick, declined to specify the monetary offer the Cubs made to woo him from the University of Alabama. According to Baseball America, a high school pitcher picked seven spots before Golden received $655,000 and a prep shortstop taken six spots after Golden received $514,000. Last year, the 65th overall pick was a high school pitcher who got $900,000.

"I'll just say I'm very happy with what I got," Golden said.

No comments: