Thursday, April 19, 2012

Allen left impression on ball, Price in 2008

Newly acquired Rays first baseman Brandon Allen has a David Price-tinged Riverwalk Stadium history.

Allen homered off Price on July 17, 2008, in the Biscuits' 5-3 win over the Birmingham Barons. It came in Allen's first Double-A at-bat. Allen didn't wait long for his second homer, taking Price out again in his second at-bat.

(Correction: Stefan Gartrell was the first to homer off Price that night. The three were the first of Price's pro career.)

I’m human. I’m not superhuman,” Price said that night. “I’m just like everybody else on the field. I’m sure I’m going to give up a lot more home runs in my career.

“If I don’t, it probably means I don’t have a long career.”

Allen, who hit another the next night off Iowan Jeremy Hellickson, had 14 home runs in 41 games with the Barons that year.

No comments: