Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ump: Smokies have league's 'best' fans

Female baseball umpire hanging tough in a man's world

I've never been to Smokies Park, so I can't dispute what veteran Southern League umpire Ria Cortesio says about their fans.

"Part of the fun is the people you meet, Cortesio said. "On the field and off. It's always good to come here to Sevierville. I think the best fans in the league are here. These are definitely the most knowledgeable baseball fans and support the team, no matter who the affiliate is. It's good to see fans who have a clue about the game."

Much of the article is about the head injury she sustained last year and how it affected her over the offseason. A brain hemorrhage was diagnosed in Montgomery and she sat in the stands later that series.

She declined comment about her injury because I made her "look bad" earlier that week and league president Don Mincher saw the story. Her crew was late and caused a 19-minute delay Aug. 6. (I'm fairly certain the league president would hear about his umpires being late to a game.)

She's in her fifth year in the Southern League and says she's "the next one to go to Triple-A." Also, "I still scratch my head as to why I'm still here."

No comments: