Monday, June 06, 2011

Mahtook: It's pronounced Mah-took

LSU outfielder Mikie Mahtook is used to having his name mispronounced -- "Absolutely, all the time -- whether people say May-took, Ma-hook or Me-took. Officially, he said on a teleconference, it's Mah-took. "Mah", like Bah-humbug and "took" like a tense of taken.

Some other highlights ...
Surprised it was the Rays: "I haven't had too much contact with them. When they picked it, it was exciting. The Rays have been a great organization the last few years. I'm looking forward to developing and becoming the player they want me to be."

On his skills: "I think I'm solid in a lot of aspects of the game, but there's a lot of room for improvement. I'm looking forward to taking my game to the next level."

On how LSU's national title in '09 helped him: "I was able to take advantage of it. I think it had a lot to do with putting my name out there."

On Vanderbilt pitcher/fellow Rays pick Grayson Garvin: "He's a big, strong lefty and he can pitch really well. He has control of every pitch. It seemed like he threw every pitch exactly where he wanted and had total control of the game."

No comments: