Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Starting habits

Here's an addendum to my story in Wednesday's paper about the pregame habits of the starting pitchers. Call it a reward for reading this blog.

Chris Mason's video game of choice is Halo 2 and his victims, "regular" victims, he claims, are Patrick Breen and Dale Thayer. "Dale is the worst of us three and Pat is pretty good," Mason said, "but I stomp Pat, too."

Mike Prochaska said he picked up on pregame habit long ago and has yet to be able to shake it. It's not one he wants to keep. "Before every start to this day, I dry heave," Prochaska said. "I kind of get all my nerves together. Everybody makes fun of me because I start getting the dry heaves. I think I’m going to throw up, but I don’t."

At one time, Prochaska also used to load up on caffeine, but that didn't mix well with that involuntary habit. "I would drink energy drinks and a cup of coffee, and it would all mix together," he said. "I learned really quick that wasn’t the thing to do."

No comments: