Monday, June 06, 2011

Hager: 'Bring on the competition'

The Rays just had a teleconference with prep shortstop Jake Hager, their third first-round pick. He said he idolized Cal Ripken and Dustin Pedroia, was confident he would be taken in the first round and isn't frazzled by all of Tampa Bay's high picks.

"I just want to do my thing," Hager said. "Bring on the competition, I guess."

Hager said he's prepared to sign and pass on his Arizona State commitment.

"I'm ready to play pro ball. I've been ready to play pro ball," Hager said. "College is great and Arizona State is great, but I'm ready to move on and pursue my dream, and that's to play pro ball."

On being taken 32nd: "I had a feeling Tampa was going to take me. I had a great feeling. I'm glad you guys picked me. They scouted me pretty hard and there were a lot of phone calls. They were on me pretty much ever week. ... A lot of people have seen me from the organization."

On being a first-round pick: "I did expect to go in the first round or be a sandwich pick. I had a great year and I really had a good feeling that I was going to get there."

On his draft day: "It was very nerve-wracking. I was waiting all day for it. I woke up, went to school and thought about it all day."


On what position he'll play: "I'll play anywhere. I do want to stay at short -- I think I have the work ethic to make it happen -- but I'll play anywhere they put me. ... I love being on the field. I'm the first one there and the last one to leave."

No comments: