Saturday, July 30, 2011

Good news for Cruz: He'll return in 'two weeks, tops'

Pitcher Joe Cruz may not miss the rest of the season after all. Cruz, who left the Biscuits in early June and said he was headed for season-ending surgery, was able to avoid the knife and is close to returning.

Cruz said he's scheduled to throw two innings Wednesday for the GCL Rays and return to the Biscuits in "two weeks, tops." After leaving the Biscuits, Cruz had a cortisone shot in his shoulder and rested for a month before starting a throwing program.

"It feels like night and day from when I was in Montgomery," Cruz said. "My body feels better and my arm is great. It's a big difference."

Cruz, after leading the Florida State League with 13 wins last year, was 3-5 with an 8.43 ERA in 11 starts for Montgomery.

"I can't wait to get back out there," Cruz said. "It's been a good rehab assignment for me, and I want to try to get back to my old self."

No comments: