Tim Beckham, who played for the Biscuits last season and is a former No. 1 overall draft pick, has been suspended by Major League Baseball for 50 games after testing positive for a "drug of abuse."
It's his second violation. An initial positive test for a "drug of abuse" leads to counseling and not a suspension. Beckham is currently on the disabled list at Triple-A Durham with a left wrist injury. He last played April 19.
“I regret that my poor judgment resulted in me letting my teammates and the Tampa Bay Rays organization down," Beckham said in a release. "I take full responsibility for my actions and I will use this experience to refocus my commitment to baseball. I recognize that I am blessed to be able to play baseball for a living.
"I owe it to my teammates, my family, and to myself to respect the game and the responsibilities that go with playing it as a professional. I am sorry."
Beckham will be eligible to return June 22.
The 21-year-old, who hit .275 in 107 games last year for the Biscuits, signed for a then-record $6.1 million signing bonus after the Rays took him with the No. 1 pick in the 2008 draft. He has a .204 average at Durham.
"We are very disappointed by Tim's actions," Rays general manager Andrew Friedman said in a release. "Tim possesses great potential, and he must rededicate himself in order to become the person and player we know he can be.”