Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Rodriguez set for first work with Rays

Newly acquired pitcher Aneury Rodriguez is scheduled to throw today in Montgomery's first workout at Riverwalk Stadium. Biscuits pitching coach Neil Allen admits he knows "nothing" about the right-hander at the moment.

Rodriguez did luck out and have one player with the Biscuits that he knows: third baseman Cesar Suarez. Suarez already had a roomate, but helped hook up Rodriguez with one.

Rodriguez was with the Rockies until being traded Sunday for major-leaguer Jason Hammel.

"It was hard for me, but that's baseball," Rodriguez said. "I need to pitch and I'll do it wherever they want because I want to make it to the big leagues."

The right-hander should benefit from one aspect of the move. He was headed to the hitter-friendly Texas League this year. Now, it's the more-neutral Southern League. He had a 3.74 ERA last season in the hitter-heaven California League.

"If somebody hits a fly ball, it's gone in that league," Rodriguez said. "I don't know this year, so I'm going to see. I know you have to work hard here."

RIGHT: Rodriguez and Allen talk things over during Tuesday's workout at Riverwalk Stadium. (Advertiser photo by Lloyd Gallman)

No comments: