Saturday, June 30, 2007

Finally home

I went 1-for-3. Fitful night of sleep last night, so I didn't get out of the hotel until 11 a.m. EDT. Hit Guilford Courthouse an hour later and went for the full experience, which took me 2 1/2 hours. Thought I could cover the 100 miles to Kings Mountain in 1 1/2 hours, but a decent rainstorm just this side of Greensboro, an inconvenient construction zone at Kannapolis and a nice helping of Charlotte traffic derailed that.

Instead, perused a book store to get my mind off traffic and rest. I did drive up to Kings Mountain about an hour after the park closed. Took a detour to Clemson -- I dispute the contention that Clemson is "Auburn with a lake." It's Starkville, at best. Sat down for some quality dining at a Denny's before crossing Atlanta.

Huge accident on I-85/75 North that had traffic backed up for miles, so I felt fortunate I was headed south. Just got home. The 550-mile route took me a mere 15 1/2 hours. Now, what did I miss?

No comments: