Friday, July 06, 2012

Downs makes major league debut with Detroit

Darin Downs, with the Biscuits in 2009 and '10, made his major league debut Tuesday for the Detroit Tigers.

The left-handed pitcher threw a shutout inning Tuesday and three shutout innings Thursday against the Minnesota Twins.

Downs took a line drive to the head in his second start for Montgomery at Birmingham on Aug. 17, 2009. He spent two days in intensive care and nine days overall at Birmingham's St. Vincent's Hospital.

The next year with the Biscuits, he had a 1.69 ERA in 48 innings before a promotion to Triple-A Durham.

Downs had a 2.15 ERA in 25 games at Triple-A Toledo before Detroit called him up. The 27-year-old is No. 55 on the Biscuits-to-majors list and the third to debut this year.

3 comments:

Brent said...

OK, I'm missing somebody (and you know how much I hate that)! I have Vogt and Downs making their debut this year... who is the third former Biscuit?

Stacy Long said...

Chris Archer debuted last month vs. Strasburg. Went up when Hellickson got hurt. (I'm the same way.)

Brent said...

Thanks for the response! I definitely don't like blank spaces on my spreadsheet!