Saturday, July 18, 2009

Carrier breaks world record; bats mourn

Steve Carrier broke the world record by breaking more than 23 baseball bats in a minute at the end of the fifth inning. He snapped No. 24 with 31 seconds left and went through No. 30 -- the final bat in the supply -- at the 16-second mark.

UPDATE: No. 30 fell at the 7-second mark, according to the official stopwatch for the event. (The scoreboard had 16 seconds and was a bit off.)

Carrier snapped 34-inch Louisville Sluggers delivered by the company, "regular professional bats that these guys use," Carrier said, pointing toward Montgomery's dugout.

"I thought I had another five or 10 bats in me," Carrier said. "I figured 30 would be good and I didn't know if I could reach that. I may have to try again next year."

Carrier will be speaking -- and snapping things -- at the River's Edge Church in the Atlanta Crossing Shopping Center at 7 p.m. Wednesday. He'll return to River's Edge to speak Sept. 13-16 and also visit local schools.

"I bring a positive message about positive choices and encouraging young people to choose the right friends," Carrier said. "I use the strength stuff as bait to share a lifting message."

He also breaks concrete, bends steel with his teeth and rips off handcuffs.

"Here's this person who was once a stutterer and now I'm going around breaking world records," Carrier said. "That's all because of God."

No comments: