Sunday, July 19, 2009

Siran Stacy speaks to crowd

Former Alabama running back Siran Stacy spoke to the crowd before today's game about God's role in his life since the car accident that killed his wife and four of their children.

I covered his wife, the former Ellen Bible, when she was a volleyball player at Alabama. She was a great person. It's encouraging to see Stacy be so positive.

Stacy said he's been speaking about the tragedy almost every weekend since January. Stacy and one child, Shelly, were the only survivors.

"I won't ever get over it," he said. "It's something I have to live with the rest of my life, but God wouldn't want us to be miserable the rest of our lives. Jesus said I came for you to have life and to have it more abundantly.

"There are still days, but he brings me out of it."

One of the two lowest feelings I've had in my professional career was hearing about the wreck. The other was a wreck that killed Tiffany Young, a Purdue basketball player that I had covered when she was in high school.

Shelly is now 6, Stacy said, and "doing well, thanks to the prayers of everyone and God's blessings."

No comments: