Saturday, April 02, 2011

Double-A roster speculation

After Matt Moore and Chris Archer go 1-2 for the Biscuits, it looks like it will run Joe Cruz, Shane Dyer and Nick Barnese. I'm sure of the names, though not the order.

Infielders Tim Beckham, Cole Figueroa, Matt Sweeney and Cody Cipriano will be with the Biscuits. I also expect Omar Luna to be there, too. Nevin Ashley and Stephen Vogt will both head to Montgomery, and I'm confident Jake Jefferies will be the third catcher.

Now, time for more speculation.

I have eight names for seven relief spots. Jeremy Hall and David Newmann are moving to the bullpen. Ryan Reid and Paul Phillips are slated to return. Matt Bush, Marquis Fleming, Zach Quate and Neil Schenk are expected to move up.

Outfield, umm, outfield? I get John Shelby III and Reid Fronk pretty easily. There are a slew of injuries here.

I suspect Kyeong Kang may stay at high-Class A, where he can help shortstop prospect Hak-Ju Lee. Both are Korean.

With Shelby and Fronk, that's 23 players. The roster has 24 spots and the Rays regularly send extras. If an injured player is close enough to being ready, it's conceivable that they wouldn't send as many.

Your injured Double-A players: infielders Shawn O'Malley and Henry Wrigley, outfielders John Matulia, Emeel Salem and Isaias Velasquez, and starting pitcher Frank De Los Santos.

2 comments:

Dr.Miraculous said...

it seems like matulia has been hurt for three whole seasons - I know he spent time on the DL last year too. What is his injury, and does he have a timetable for return?

thanks!

Dr.Miraculous said...

oh i see you answered my question, even before I asked it! Now THATS quality reporting!



Looks like a good roster this year, I suspected we might get a couple of those guys. Back in january I made biscuit roster predictions over at baseballfever-dotcom's forums thusly:

Infielders:
Mayora
Wrigley
H.J.Lee OR Beckham
Sheridan
Figueroa
Fronk

Outfielders:
Kang
Salem
Montero
Matulia
Eldridge

Catcher
Vogt
Albernaz
Spring

Starting Pitchers
Moore
Archer
Torres
Cobb
Barnese
J.Cruz

Relief Pitchers
Espinoza
Reid
Phillips
Fleming
Satow
Schenk
Quate (closer)

not bad for jan25th, eh? Was before the shelby deal, so I didnt guess that anywhere near right, but the bullpen looks great!