Saturday, April 02, 2011

Matulia hopes he'll miss just a week

Outfielder John Matulia, who now lives in Montgomery, is optimistic that he'll join the Biscuits after a small stay in the extended program.

Matulia has been out with a back injury, though he played Saturday in an intrasquad game. It was his first game action since the injury, and he won't break camp on time.

"I hope it's not more than a week," Matulia said. "I hope to make the first road trip and just miss the first series. It will depend on how I do and if I stay healthy."

Matulia suffered a stress fracture on his L4 vertebra, which "is not as serious as it sounds," Matulia said. He felt discomfort and the Rays had X-rays taken.

The 24-year-old hit .269 last year with the Biscuits and led the team with 40 extra-base hits and 59 RBIs. He hit a career-high nine home runs.

Matulia and his wife moved to Montgomery this offseason. They had been living in Atlanta.

"It just worked out that way," Matulia said. "My wife found a job there and I figured I'd be going back there. We both like the area."

No comments: