Tuesday, June 25, 2013

3 Biscuits on my Southern League All-Star vote

It's that time of year again.

If I was the final vote, I've cursed three Biscuits to missing out on the Southern League All-Star break and sent them to Jacksonville, Fla., for the July 16 game. Fortunately, the league's field managers, general managers, radio broadcasters and other beat writers also get a vote.

I'll be honest: Pitcher C.J. Riefenhauser and outfielder Kevin Kiermaier were pretty quick choices for me, but outfielder Mikie Mahtook was the last name on my ballot.

Before you start counting, I have eight Birmingham Barons on my list, including Montgomery native Taylor Thompson. They won the North Division first half by nine games.

From there, in the North, it's Tennessee with five, Chattanooga with three and Jackson and Huntsville with two each. In the South, I cast my lot with six from the first-half champ Mobile BayBears. There were five from the host Suns, four from Mississippi and two from Pensacola.

Believe it or not, I don't count it up until I finish my vote.

SOUTH DIVISION
C: Christian Bethancourt, Mississippi
C: Tucker Barnhart, Pensacola
1B: Mark Canha, Jacksonville
2B: Mike Freeman, Mobile
3B: Nick Evans, Mobile
SS: Jaime Pedroza, Mississippi
OF: Jake Marisnick, Jacksonville
OF: Kyle Jensen, Jacksonville
OF: Kevin Kiermaier, Montgomery
OF: Jose Martinez, Mississippi

DH: Justin Greene, Mobile
Utility IF: Edward Salcedo, Mississippi
Utility OF: Mikie Mahtook, Montgomery

P: Jay Jackson, Jacksonville
P: Archie Bradley, Mobile
P: Kevin Munson, Mobile
Starter: David Holmberg, Mobile
Starter: Chad Rogers, Pensacola
Reliever: Collin Cargill, Jacksonville
Closer: C.J. Riefenhauser, Montgomery


NORTH DIVISION
C: Mike Blanke, Birmingham
C: Rafael Lopez, Tennessee
1B: Andy Wilkins, Birmingham
2B: Marcus Semien, Birmingham
3B: Christian Villanueva, Tennessee
SS: Arismendy Alcantara, Tennessee
OF: Trayce Thompson, Birmingham
OF: Joc Pederson, Chattanooga
OF: Kentrail Davis, Huntsville
OF: Julio Morban, Jackson

DH: Dan Black, Birmingham
Utility IF: Rafael Ynoa, Chattanooga
Utility OF: Matt Szczur, Tennessee

P: Taylor Jungmann, Huntsville
P: Nick McCully, Birmingham
P: Zach Rosscup, Tennessee
Starter: Taijuan Walker, Jackson
Starter: Erik Johnson, Birmingham
Reliever: Taylor Thompson, Birmingham
Closer: Yimi Garcia, Chattanooga

No comments: