Sunday, April 03, 2011

Final day of spring camp

It's intrasquad games only and they start at 10 a.m. EDT. I know Chris Archer has to throw today before heading north and it should be Dirk Hayhurst's turn in Triple-A.

Since each full-season team's travel roster was posted Saturday, the players will be eager to finish today's game and get on the road. Again, the Rays aren't releasing their rosters and are leaving that duty to the affiliates. I've requested the extended spring/rehab list and haven't heard their decision.

Here's the anecdote I annually share about this day, from 2007, I believe. One pitcher, I believe it was Jake McGee, unfurled a perfect cricket pitch (it bounced) on the final day of spring. The umpire still called it a strike. The batter, I believe it was Josh Asanovich, only smiled and got ready for the next pitch. Everyone laughed. Everybody was just ready to leave.

UPDATE: It's Alex Torres in Triple-A against Archer.

No comments: